Wednesday, 7 April 2010

First Drop of Crimson - the Review

By Jeaniene Frost

The night is not safe for mortals.

Denise MacGregor knows all too well what lurks in the shadows – her best friend is half-vampire Cat Crawfield – and she has already lost more than the average human could bear. But her family’s dark past is wrapped in secrets and shrouded in darkness – and a demon shapeshifter has marked Denise as prey. Now her survival depends on an immortal who craves a taste of her.

He is Spade, a powerful, mysterious vampire who has walked the earth for centuries and is now duty-bound to protect this endangered, alluring human – even if it means destroying his own kind. Denise may arouse his deepest hungers, but Spade knows he must fight his urge to have her as they face the demon nightmare together…

Because once the first drop of crimson falls, they will both be lost.



I liked it! There said it! I know some people liked bits or were a bit so so about the book, or mainly the character of Denise and whilst I understand their concerns... I Liked it! I have to say I squeeeeed like a kid when I read that Spade came from my neck of the woods and could be my neighbour, I will keep an eye out for him. *wink* Why did I like it? Firstly I found the plot engaging and interesting, the race against time, the hiding from the demon hunting Denise, the search for Nathaniel, the discovery of what she could become and how to combat it. A chase which takes them across the world where a new challenge is around every corner. The characters and interesting and for the most part engaging. Yes Denise can be irritating, but after her husband was slaughtered by vampires, her family systematically targeted with suspicious deaths I can see where she is coming from, she equated vampires and all things which go bump in the night with death and destruction and wanted a normal life. A safe, boring life, a life where she doesn't have to feel or hurt again. But fate had different plans. In steps Raum, a demon with designs on her family- find Nathaniel or you all die. He brands Denise and she calls for help from the only person she can ask- who has changed her number, as has her husband and mother... in steps Spade!

As a knight in shining armour Spade is perfectly yummy! Tall, devious, dark mysterious and sexy. He doesn't want to be there to begin with, not for the reasons you might think. Turns out he was instantly attracted to Denise but warned off by Bones, and when a master vampire warns he means it. He also has his own reasons for not getting attached to humans, reasons which become very clear in the story as we find out more about him and his history.

The usual side characters appear, Ian is, well... Ian, but he does make me laugh, we have a cameo from Cat, Bones and Mencheres but any more than that would be telling.

If you want a fun book, filled with plot, pace and twisty turns then this could be the book for you. I am not saying it is a typical Cat and Bones story- so don't expect that, but as a tale of it's own it is a good read! If you still aren't certain the first 20% of the book is available free HERE.

I give it 4 pink panties out of 5. A frilly panty read!

7 comments:

SusiSunshine said...

I think that is exactly the mistake I made. I wanted it to be like a Cat & Bones book. It really is no bad book but not what I expected. Great review and I'm so happy you liked it!

Minx said...

Yeah I think anyone who expects the same as Cat and Bones will be left wanting more, but if you read it as a spin off and a book in it's own right it is good.

*muah*

Patti said...

Glad to see you liked it - I liked it too. I thought Spade was yummy and found it hard to put down. I hope Ian gets his own book - I loved him!!

Minx said...

I know! ME TOO! When he interupted them just because she interrupted him.... I giggled!

Sparklybearsy said...

Yes exactly what Susi said!!! I was wrongly expecting another bones and cat book, i think it deserves a second read with fresher eyes, because i do heart Spade so! and Ian! sooo hope he gets a book of his own.

Great review as always Minxy, and i thought of you when it said where spade was from LOL!

Minx said...

He is my neighbour... I decided.... I wonder if he can put shelves up....

Cecile said...

Okay I have to get this book... Will be getting this book soon!!!
Great review honey!!!
All is well... I am glad that you are doing good!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails