Sunday, 25 April 2010

Succubus Shadows- The Review


By Richelle Mead

Georgina Kincaid has formidable powers. Immortality, seduction, shape-shifting into any human form she desires, walking in heels that would cripple mere mortals—all child’s play to a succubus like her.

Helping to plan her ex-boyfriend’s wedding is a different story. Georgina isn’t sure which is worse—that Seth is marrying another woman, or that Georgina has to run all over Seattle trying on bridesmaid dresses. Still, there are distractions. Georgina’s roommate, Roman, is cluttering her apartment with sexual tension. Then there’s Simone, the new succubus in town, who’s intent on corrupting Seth.

But the real danger lies in the mysterious force that’s visiting her thoughts, trying to draw her into a dark, otherworldly realm. Sooner or later, Georgina knows she’ll be too weak to resist. And when that happens, she’ll discover who she can trust, who she can’t—and that Hell is far from the worst place to spend eternity…


I do consider myself lucky that I was in Borders with my friend L and she pointed to the book Succubus Blues and said 'That one is quite good,' from L that is like a spotlight and magical music; so I bought it... and loved it. So why am I lucky? Because I have had the joy of this series for a couple of years and if you have not met Georgina and her friends then you must!

Why does this series work? It is a curious question I have set myself because much of the series revolves around a will they won't they HEA plot between Georgie and Seth, more off than on this plot of unrequited love is a constant which connects the books together, each novel having it own storyline which runs its course in the book. You know what I mean. Alongside this you have a host of human, demon and heavenly characters who make Georgie's world most entertaining!

I really enjoyed this book, it is another read which managed to get me through cramps... perhaps that should be a new rating-'better than purple pills'-?? But it is true, life made it difficult for me to start to read the book, a couple of pages here, a couple there, but I was soon hooked and pulled into the story. What was haunting Georgie? Would she be able to help Maddie with the wedding to Seth? Would I cry? Almost!

At the beginning of the novel Georgina's romance with Seth is over, after their affair, Seth has proposed to Maggie and she has accepted. However other than for Georgina's supernatural friends and Seth's family, no-one knows about their romance. SO Maggie assumes her best friend will be her bridesmaid and help her plan the wedding. If this wasn't torture enough Georgie is being stalked by something, and there is a new succubus in town.

The plot is engaging, as are the characters and their dilemas. The question of Georgina's contract appears again, this time with a new twist to link to the next novel, we are also left with questions about Seth and his relationship to Georgina. I would say more but I would spoil it... yes I know I am rambling but my mind is so full of questions I want answering and I love it!!!

One of the things I feel is nice about this book is we find out more about Roman, Georgina's once lover and sociopathic room-mate, perhaps he does have a heart after all. I must admit he is one of my favourite side characters along with Carter the irreverent angel. All I can say is... if you have not read this series before, give it a go. I can't recommend it highly enough.



4.5 pink panties out of 5, a frilly panty read with sparkly bows!

6 comments:

Sparklybearsy said...

I have all the succubus books just waiting to be read! ive heard really good things about the books, and im new to the author so reading your review is exciting! cant wait.

sidenote: love the name seth! rawr!

great review oh minxy one *smooch*

SusiSunshine said...

I totally agree hon. I loved this book and I want the next one ASAP.
I have a soft spot for Roman and Carter too. ;)
Great review!

Patti said...

I love this series too! Can't wait for the next book, although I think it's the last one? And I like Roman and Carter too. I'm still on the fence about Seth...I've been mentally calling him a tool but this book has me coming around again.

Minx said...

Yes I have to say, there are times I just want to slap Seth! LOL, but in this book I sniffed and went awww.... I hope Roma finds someone, if not he can have me! =D

Bearsy! Move the books to the top of the pile and read them... I will test you on them =P

Susi I want the next one too and I have so many questions about Seth.

Patti yeah I think the next one is the last, perhaps we will all come round about Seth, and find out why Carter is always so crypic with Georgie... HE KNOWS SOMETHING!!

Sparklybearsy said...

LOL i am putting the first book on my to read next =D

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

Great review! I too have been sucked into this series and all the angst it entails. I'm actually enjoying them via audio book... makes my commute fly by!

Oh, and are you sure you don't have just a couple of theories floating around in your head about Seth?

Does anyone want to see Jerome happy? We got quite a bit more intimate with his touchy feely side in this last book. :D

I guess I could just go on and on about this series. If you are interested in my reviews you can read them here. I hope you don't mind, I am going to add your review as a link in the comments.

Miranda ~ Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails