Wednesday, 12 May 2010

Bearsy Reviews Succubus Blues!

Welcome to a special edition of Loose Knickers... tonight's book review is brought to you by Sparkly Bearsy and sponsored by the number 69 bus! =P

Thanks Bear for agreeing to do a guest spot!

***


Succubus (n) - An alluring, shape-shifting demon who seduces and pleasures mortal men.

Pathetic (adj.) - A succubus with great shoes and no social life. See: Georgina Kincaid.

When it comes to jobs in hell, being a succubus seems pretty glamorous. A girl can be anything she wants. The wardrobe is killer, and mortal men will do anything just for a touch. Granted, they often pay with their souls, but why get technical?

But Seattle succubus Georgina Kincaid’s life is far less exotic. Her boss is a middle-management demon with a thing for John Cusack movies. Her immortal best friends haven’t stopped teasing her about the time she shape-shifted into the Demon Goddess get-up complete with whip and wings. And she can’t have a decent date without sucking away part of the guy’s life. At least there’s her day job at a local bookstore—free books, all the white chocolate mochas she can drink, and easy access to bestselling, sexy writer, Seth Mortensen, aka He Whom She Would Give Anything to Touch but Can’t.

But dreaming about Seth will have to wait. Something wicked is at work in Seattle’s demon underground. And for once, all of her hot charms and drop-dead one-liners won’t help because Georgina’s about to discover there are some creatures out there that both heaven and hell want to deny…

***Summary taken from Author website***

I wasn't sure if i'd like this book, a girl in the lead role and a succubus, that could only mean one thing, she would be a ho and boring to read about. Most girl lead roles turn out that way,disappointingly, and i find i can't read about them without wanting to claw my own eyes out.

BUT! Georgina Kincaid does not have the *CoughAnitaFactorCough* is a succubus like no other i've read before, yeah she sexes and corrupts guys to feed her their life force, but she's not all evil in the regular demon sense, she seems to have some morals and it's pretty sad she can't have a meaningful lasting relationship with anyone, 'cause yeah they get pretty dead if she sucks too much of them.


Aaaand Cue two guys Georgina likes!

Just when i thought i had a handle on this light hearted Urban Fantasy Succubus book, the author gave me a squick moment, i should have seen it coming really, hello Georgina IS a Succubus and needs to feed from the life force of men, but my romantic heart thought once she'd met Seth/Roman she wouldn't boff other men..her riding on her bosses lap in his office..Squick!

My over-all thoughts on the book, good storyline, good secondary characters, a likeable albeit weird succubus heroine and a series i think i will enjoy more each book.

Roman and Seth, the sexy and the geek. I liked them both, but i fell more in the Geek camp, Seth is just too cute...and he writes books, i had to love him more! I kind of felt though, as i do with most heroines who have more than one love interest she 'loves-the-one-shes-with-at-the-time' there is twists and turns with this love triangle, things i didn't expect and it makes me wonder what's in store for book two! Having known many fan girly squeal moments over authors and books, it was funny to see Georgina be that way over writer Seth, she truly geeked out over his books, a nice contrast to the demon that she is.

I liked some of the secondary characters, Carter...is he really a good angel? he's very mysterious, someone that secretive HAS to be EVOL right?! It gave me a giggle that good and evil were all pally together.

I give Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead 3.5 out of 5.


6 comments:

Minx said...

Fab review Bear! I hope you end up loving the funness of the series as I do. Seth is cute... but Roman is SOOO sexy.... Got to love me a bad boy.

I love Carter too and Hugh, Peter and Cody- so much fun as is Jerome. This series just gets better.

But yes I hope Georgie makes things work with Seth!

Patti said...

Fun review! I love this series! Love Jerome (John Cusack?) and Carter. Waiting with baited breath for the last book (luckily I will have her next Vampire Academy book soon to tide me over, LOL)

Minx said...

Hi Patti! How you doing? I love these books too, SS had me all choked up, I can't wait for the last book. I reviewed succubus shadows around here somewhere LOL.

Sparklybearsy said...

All you peoples are way ahead of me, i gotta get my skates on and get to book two! I liked Jerome too, prolly cause i used to crush on John Cusack LOL!

Sooo...since im behind, IS Carter EVOL? huh huh ?

And thank you Minxy Moo for letting me invade your knicker place...i swears i was good, and only went up to the tower to see the boys 6 or 9 times! 69...get it ;) AHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

Great review! I love this series too... even have a little fan girl post of my own up today about Seth from this very book! LOL

Miranda ~ Sweet Vernal Zephyr

Sarah said...

Great review bear! I do love this series - I'm reading book 5 at the moment :o) Ahhh Seth, I do love him so! I just really think they should end up together LOL. Although saying that Roman is HOT hehe. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series :o)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails