Sunday, 16 May 2010

Tease- The Review


By Immodesty Blaize

Tiger Starr has risen from nothing to become burlesque’s most sensational showgirl…She’s bewitched an adoring public and media with her old school Hollywood glamour, hourglass curves and wickedly, sexy stage shows.

Tiger’s life is a whirlwind of glamour, diamonds, celebrity parties and more than her fair share of suitors. She seems to finally have it all. But though she may have the talents to bring any man – or woman – to their knees, Tiger never lets her friends or lovers get too close. Only now, she’s finally ready to take a chance on love...

But beneath all the glitz and the feathers, she’s hiding more than her modesty. As she prepares for the most important show of her life, it seems somebody is intent on exposing the dark secrets of her carefully guarded past.

Unfortunately, there’s more than one likely candidate. Is it one of Tiger’s discarded lovers? A rival showgirl? Or even her jealous sister? As her world starts to unravel, Tiger will have to fight for survival, by delivering the performance of her life…


For any of you who have never heard of Immodesty Blaize she is most famous for being a burlesque performer and when I saw her talking about her book Tease on Paul O'Grady's show a while ago I also knew that one day I was going to have to locate it, buy it and read it. I mean, corsets, scandal secrets, murder and mystery and burlesque... how could a Minx resist?!

The title tease links directly to the idea of burlesque, it is all in the tease, and the book does just that. The characters are over the top and adorable, just what you would expect in a world where jewelled nipple tassels are this seasons must have. Tiger Starr is a complex character with many secrets, the most obvious being her on stage persona is not really her and dealing with people who believe it is. As we read the book we discover the real Tiger. We watch helpless as she receives pink notes threatening her, we watch her life and relationships fall apart in private as she paints on a crimson smile and goes to greet her audience, we hope that she finds the love she deserves, we gasp as the teases of her past become clear and we sympathise with her. When an attempt is made on her life... we fear for her safety. Just exactly who is trying to destroy her and why?

This is a good book by an amazing burlesque star (that is the only way I can describe Blaize's persona- she makes me want to put on my tassells and shimmy) and a new writer. The book has been dubbed a bonk-buster, and yes in some ways it is, Tiger enjoys sex and doesn't hold back, however this is more than an erotic novel, it is a sexy thriller. The plot is intriguing and fast paced, the notes and chapters written by her nameless stalker create tension, the characters are larger than life, and yes unbelievable in a real context, but this isn't a real world, this is showbiz dahrling! Tiger is strong with a personality which tugs at your heart strings, the secondary characters are interesting so much so you want to slap them sometimes! Yes I do get very excited about books.... *blushes*

I also like the written style, Immodesty Blaize has a true storytelling narrative, giving emotion and description in a conversational way which is very appealing in a summer read. I read the hardback which is pictured above, but it is now out in paperback.

I give Tease 4 pink panties out of 5, a very sexy frilly read!

6 comments:

Mar said...

First, that cover is absolutely gorgeous. This sounds like a real fun read and different that what I've been reading lately, so I'm definately adding it to my TBR pile. A story that makes me want to slap someone is always a good one. Good review, Minxy!

Minx said...

Thanks, and yes the cover is gorgeous! It really is a fun read and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I heard that she was writing another one, I hope it is true, it really was a fun summer read, as long as you don't take it seriously.

If you read it I would love to know what you think.

Sparklybearsy said...

Wow, i think you've sold me! it wouldnt be something that is auto on my radar, it doesnt have a demon in it for one LOL! but i like the description. Im adding it to my list!

great pimpage review Minxy Moo!

Minx said...

Why thank you... don't forget to share the pimpage!

Anna ♥ said...

I love the sound of this book! What a unique story premise and subject for a book. Wonderful review, I am definitely going to put it on my summer reading list. :D

Minx said...

yay

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails