Sunday, 1 August 2010

Charmed and Dangerous and Charmed and Ready: Reviewed

by Candace Havens

When Bronwyn turned twenty she took the oath to protect, and for the last five years she's kept that promise, working as a kind of one-witch secret service to the British Prime Minister. Her arsenal includes a combination of potions, spells, explosions, mind-reading tricks, and general butt-kicking skills. But Bronwyn has a soft side, too-especially when it comes to Dr. Sam, the favorite physician of her new hometown, Sweet, Texas. He's smart, funny, adorable, everything she could want in a man. Except he's also a warlock-a big no-no in Bronwyn's book of dating. Being a witch is definitely getting in the way of her sex life. If zapping evil jerks is easy, why is finding a boyfriend so hard?



I know, some of you are going to ask how I came across these books, the simple answer is, I fell in lust with the cover of the Demon King and I, went on Candace Haven's website, got it and the sequel (both of which I really enjoyed and reviewed) and came across the Bronwyn books, loved the titles, thought the synopsis sounded fun and went off to search for them, and search I did. These books (with the exception of Charmed and Ready) were difficult to buy, which is why I love Amazon Market Place, I picked them up second hand and I just ordered book 3 that way.

The sad thing is I don't know why they are hard to get, they are great! I mean it 4+ frilly knickers for both of them! I hope it is because they are being republished because the word needs to spread about Bronwyn! And I am hoping you will all help me.

These are great fun, perfect pool reads, perfect for that rainy day, when you need to get a break from reality with something kick ass, but also tipped with fun and frivolity, and I can't believe I am saying that about a series of books where everyone is trying to kill the heroine, but Candace Havens has worked magic with her words and developed a world where magic and danger and fun are intertwined, add to that sexy men, a love triangle, finding the love of her life, trying to keep him, friends, kick ass friends, kicking ass, politics, princes, demons, warlocks, prime ministers, free Private jets.... I WANT TO BE BRONWYN! Oh did I mention she is a kick ass witch?

Have I whetted your appetite yet?

I was a bit worried about the journal style writing of the book, but after a few pages I understood the need for Bronwyn to share her feelings, it is like we are reading her journal, (yes the book is first person, please don't let that put you off) but it is just like reading any other novel and much less fragmented than say Brigit Jones Diary, (yeah I know I am showing my age, think yourself lucky I didn't say the Secret Diary of Adrian Mole!) I liked the little notations at the beginnings of chapters, I have included an example in the synopsis of Charmed and Ready.

Bronwyn is a kick ass powerful witch who works as a bodyguard for the British Prime Minister, even though she lives in the small Texas town of Sweet. Her job takes her all round the world and she defends him from people trying to do the nasty. However this results in several bounties on her head, when he introduces her to Prince Amir passion flies, but whilst Amir loves Bronwyn, Bronwyn loves Sam, local lad and Doctor in the small town of Sweet. Thing is Sam is a warlock, non practicing, but Bronwyn has issues with warlocks, but she has fallen like a ton of bricks and Sam feels the same, so much so they share dreams, (often involving naked bodies and chocolate sauce.) But someone is out to kill Amir and and Bronwyn must protect him, but this BAD is after her too, and finally th fight is brought to Sweet.

Such a great story, Bronwyn is strong and fearless and so caring of those around her, we as a reader grow to love her and feel hurt when she does, men can really be ...well when she goes on her men are asses rants we nod our heads and agree! The side characters are equally as strong and interesting and help power the story as it twists and turns through the mystery of who is trying to kill Amir and why.

A great summer read, I give it 4 frilly knickers out of 5!

by Candace Havens

Monday, 5 p.m.--Greenwich mean time
Bournemouth, England
Spells: 2
Sexy rock start: 1
Jealous boyfriends not returning my calls: 1

After spending most of my life single (for witches, it's practically an occupational hazard), I finally found someone to love. Okay, so then he got killed, but he's recuperating nicely. And I should be home nursing him--maybe just a little bit naughtily--back to health.
But no. The British prime minister asked if I could look after this rock star buddy of his, Zane. Creepy goth guys in cloaks keep showing up at his concerts and zapping his mojo. Hmm, smells like teen warlock to me. Anyway, I owe the PM, and Zane is fun, too--I mean, what girl wouldn't want to hang with the hottest man in music?
Look, everyone has vices. Right now, I'd like to indulge in one of mine and blow some people up so I can get back to my sweetie in Texas. But if these caped dudes don't show themselves before another paparazzi shot of Zane and me hits the tabloids, I may not have a boyfriend to go home to..


As good as the first! Loved it so much, that when I got to the end, I got online and found myself a book 3! I am not saying that these are the greatest books I have ever read, but I loved them, I loved the fun and sunshine and optimism which is juxtaposed against the danger and demons and death. I mean who wouldn't smile when after almost being killed again Bronwyn voices the thing all girls know, let me set the scene, she almost died, she is not meant to have sex for another 2 days, her boyfriend is there, she is frisky and frustrated, she believes frustration raises her blood pressure more than sex will, he won't so she does what every horny girl would do. Goes goes down on him, and yes it works!

Another great book, one where her relationship with Sam is put under extreme pressure and Brownwyn faces the ignored messages and him in a mood, all things we can relate to! Will she and Sam survive? Will she survive? Someone else is out to kill her, but is it all connected? You will find out if you read the book because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. One of the great additions to this book is the rock star Zane, he is so fun and it also allows to to see more of Bronwyn's demon slayer friend Simone!



Great book, great summer read and another 4, no it made me smile so much I am going to go 4.5 frilly knickers out of 5. Every girl needs a friend like Bronwyn! A huge recommendation on the both for summer reads.

4 comments:

Larissa {Larissa's Bookish Life} said...

Awesome review Minxy!!! Welcome back to blogging, you've been missed!!
xoxo

Minx said...

@Larissa Thank you! That means to much!! *hugs*

Sparklybearsy said...

Woooo! YES you whetted my appetite! I like the sound of these, i must check them out


thankies Minxy Moo for putting them on my radar with your wondermous review!! =)

Minx said...

@sparklybearsy OOO yes you must! I can loan u mine if you want =D They are fun fun fun reads I think you would like them.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails