Friday, 3 September 2010

I finally catch up and read and review Lover Mine!

Lover Mine by J R Ward


In the darkest corners of the night in Caldwell, New York, a conflict like no other rages. Long divided as a terrifying battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the city is home to a band of brothers born to defend their race: the warrior vampires of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

John Matthew has come a long way since he was found living among humans, his vampire nature unknown to himself and to those around him. After he was taken in by the Brotherhood, no one could guess what his true history was- or his true identity. Indeed, the fallen Brother Darius has returned, but with a different face and a very different destiny. As a vicious personal vendetta takes John into the heart of the war, he will need to call up on both who he is now and who he once was in order to face off against evil incarnate.

Xhex, a symphath assassin, has long steeled herself against the attraction between her and John Matthew. Having already lost one lover to madness, she will not allow the male of worth to fall prey to the darkness of her twisted life. When fate intervenes, however, the two discover that love, like destiny, is inevitable between soul mates.

I finally catch up with everyone else! Strange but true, I have had this book since July and petted it but was afraid to start it, what if I didn't like it, I saw all the other reviews, most of which raved about the book, yet still I was nervous. Why? Because I have hyped myself up for books I have waited for before and been so disappointed, but with this I should have just swallowed my fear and got down to it because I loved it, it even brought a tear to my eye!

Yes, I loved it, it was a great read, a real page turner which stayed true to the original feelings and ethos of the brotherhood which I fell in love with many years ago when I first read Wrath and then paced until Rhage's book came out. (Mmmmmm I LOVE Rhage)

The book is a really interesting read and very much a dual narrative with chapters narratiing Darius's relationship with both Torhment and Xhex, this helps us to fully understand John Matthew and his future and links to the past. The modern day story is engaging and unpredictable in a good way, face paced and sexy! There are multiple story strands here which are juggled with skill, the obvious being John and Xhex, but also Qhuinn and Blay, Layla and Qhuinn, Saxton and Blay, Qhuinn and Blay and their future, John and Torh, Payne and the Scribe Virgin, Lash and the Omega.... the list goes on, but at no time did I feel like it was all to much. I felt like the book was an enjoyable narrative map which help me excitably by the hand and tugged me down it's dark and winding path, each chapter getting closer and closer to the heart of the brothers.

I was really pleased to see Layla again, I have always liked this character and I am intrigued where her relationship with the brothers will go, I could see her in a very unique relationship.  Looking forward to see where all this could go.

In fact, end leaves us with lots of possibilities and I am looking forward to wear they are all going. A great read, sexy, erotic, pacy and full of action, need something to distract you from the thought of going back to work, this is the book for you!

I give Lover Mine 4.5 frilly knickers out of 5, a definite damp panty read which will get you all flustered for brotherhood love!

8 comments:

SusiSunshine said...

Again wonderful review hon! I loved this book and I so hope we get a HEA for team Qhuay!

Sparklybearsy said...

Wooties you finally read it!!! *tosses confetti* Only in a WARD book dont i mind multiple character POV, some of the chapters in this book i would have liked to cut or made into JM and Xhex chapters instead, but you know i have much love for Lover Mine, it's been me ravenous for Qhuinn and Blays book...TEAM QHUAY ALL THE WAY!

Lovely review Minxy Moo, you described it perfectly!

West Coast Beach Wife said...

Great review!! You are cracking me up about "petting" it for awhile. I read Lover Mine while on a plane while dressed for a funeral. I took the dust jacket off and everyone thought it was the Bible! -Westie

Smash Attack! said...

A Damp Panty Read - SCORE!

"No, you've got it all wrong, John." Reading his emotions, she shook her head. "You're not half the male you could be because of what was done to you. You're twice what anyone else is because you survived." *sniffles*

Cecile said...

Popping in to see how you are doing honey!! Hugs to you and I hope you are having a great weekend!

Twimom227 said...

YEA! I'm glad you enjoyed the book! It really is one of my favorite BDB stories. I don't know how JR Ward does it, but even with the book flaws, I can't get enough!

The Book Vixen said...

I can't read your review b/c I haven't read Lover Mine yet. I have been dying to read this book ever since it came out in April but I too have been playing catch up with my TBR pile.

Minx said...

thank you all for the kind comments! I really loved the book. Everyone MUST read it!

*hugs*

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails