Sunday, 30 January 2011

Archangels Consort: The Review

By Nalini Singh

Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux and her lover, the lethally beautiful archangel Raphael, have returned home to New York only to face an uncompromising new evil…

A vampire has attacked a girls’ school—the assault one of sheer, vicious madness—and it is only the first act. Rampant bloodlust takes vampire after vampire, threatening to make the streets run with blood. Then Raphael himself begins to show signs of an uncontrolled rage, as inexplicable storms darken the city skyline and the earth itself shudders. The omens are suddenly terrifyingly clear.

An ancient and malevolent immortal is rising. The violent winds whisper her name: Caliane. She has returned to reclaim her son, Raphael. Only one thing stands in her way: Elena, the consort who must be destroyed…


I did enjoy this book, I am not saying it is perfect, but it is thoroughly enjoyable! It picks up not long after Archangels Kiss has finished, and if you are new to the series I would recommend you read the first 2 books in the series before attempting this book; as the synopsis says Elena is back in New York, subject to mortal and immortal speculation. Many people wonder about her, her wings, her archangel and some seek revenge for past wrongs.

The beginning is action packed and fluid, the story builds quickly taking us into the world of the guild hunters and the angels. We revisit some of Elena's friends and get to know them better, we are also introduced to her sisters and stepmother, this meeting uncovers a family secret and it doesn't stop there.

Throughout Elena battles her own inner demons and tries to stay connected to Raphael as his past reaches out to him. Raphael is mean, moody, dominant and sexy. He loves his consort and one of the nicest things for me was the interplay between them, how she stood up to him, all of which hinted at a real relationship and made the characters and their situations seem more real. We meet Raphael's seven again, Bluebell and Dimitri in particular (my faves.... be still my beating heart) and as usual they, along with the rough and ready members of the guild, give the story some spice.

It is a fast paced and intricate story and I do recommend it, however for me the end seemed a little rushed, not disappointing and it left you with questions which is not necessarily a bad thing, just rushed. For me, a little further explanation of a couple of key events would have helped. But it didn't spoil my overall enjoyment. There is more I could say, about events, Raphael's mother, Elena's parents... but I don't want to spoil the story for anyone who hasn't read it.


A good read, thoroughly enjoyable and I can't wait for the next one. I give Archangel's Consort 4 frilly knickers out of 5.

4 comments:

Twimom227 said...

Thanks for the review - your assessment is very close to mine. I felt that there were too many side stories that just went no where and didn't add value to the overall story.

Minx said...

Yes, I can on ne hand see whay they are there, but on the other there were other things I wanted explored... yeah... over all I liked it, just, wanted more explanation

Sparklybearsy said...

Gah, youre sooo far ahead of me on all the new reads, Minxy! i havent gotten around to this one either. Such a bad reader i am lately =(

but wooo for 4 out of 5!

Minx said...

I volunteer to read to you! Once upon a time there was a lovely little Sparklybearsy called.... Bear, now Bear loved her tutus and boyshorts but the evil lord Hashtag BookFail was after her!

We must save her!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails