Sunday, 16 January 2011

Shadowfever: The Review

By Karen Marie Moning

MacKayla Lane was just a child when she and her sister, Alina, were given up for adoption and banished from Ireland forever. Twenty years later, Alina is dead and Mac has returned to the country that expelled them to hunt her sister’s murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, Mac is plunged into a secret history: an ancient conflict between humans and immortals who have lived concealed among us for thousands of years. What follows is a shocking chain of events with devastating consequences, and now Mac struggles to cope with grief while continuing her mission to acquire and control the Sinsar Dubh — a book of dark, forbidden magic scribed by the mythical Unseelie King, containing the power to create and destroy worlds. In an epic battle between humans and Fae, the hunter becomes the hunted when the Sinsar Dubh turns on Mac and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves. Who can she turn to? Who can she trust? Who is the woman haunting her dreams? More important, who is Mac and what is the destiny she glimpses in the black and crimson designs of an ancient tarot card? From the luxury of the Lord Master’s penthouse to the sordid depths of an Unseelie nightclub, from the erotic bed of her lover to the terrifying bed of the Unseelie King, Mac’s journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and to make a choice that will either save the world... or destroy it.

Before I begin I want to say there are NO SPOILERS in this review, (I hope) so, how did this begin and I got the book early? I have no idea, well ok I know the mechanics (and that people wanted to kill me for it *hides*) luckily I ordered mine from Book Depository months ago, I received an email from them saying that they had been granted permission to ship pre orders, presumably because some were going abroad, mine wasn't, and the postman tried to deliver it Friday but I was a work, so Saturday morning off I sped to the postal depo, picked it up and.... tada! I literally was a lucky Minx. I have no special powers, although on Friday when I said that I couldn't control the sun with the click of my fingers and clicked my fingers and the sun went behind a cloud and the kids looked shocked and could read the board.... that was simply luck.... no special powers, honest!


I know, you are wondering when I will stop rambling and get to the book.... NOW! The book is fabulous, not simply a fantastically creative read but also to look at. I know you can see a picture, I know we all know it is THE BOOK, but until you see it in your hand do you see just what it is and what a beautiful book it is, and it is not until you finish the book that you realise the dramatic irony of it. The dust cover of the book is on acetate, clear,and shiny and whilst it is beautiful and a handy waterproof cover for reading in the bath (yes I am a bath reader- don't judge *wink*) I did find the dust jacket an irritation when reading it in general so I took it off.


I think you might have got the message that I loved this book, I did, I really did. I know I ramble, but I don't normally gush over a book like do have this one, the question is why? Because it is good, it really is that simple, I know that all of this is subjective and that some may not like it, but I did. It made me cry, laugh, hold my breath, fear for the characters, thing OMG, think OMFG, think awwww, melt as old friends popped in, become shocked, wonder, think I knew the answer, realise I didn't, think wow, sit with my jaw open, twist and turn, hold my breath, phone for take out as I didn't have time to cook, get dehydrated coz I forgot to drink, become one with the characters and above all it made me hope. That is one of the biggest messages from the book, hope gives you strength.


This is a book I am going to have to read again, it is complicated, an awful lot happens and I think it is a book which would benefit from a re-read, I think I will probably pick up some of the subtleties I missed first time round. The story unsettles you, how? Very simply it takes your hand and starts by leading you down a path you don't want to go down (anyone who read the two chapters online will know exactly what I mean) it then pats your hand and hugs you, allows you into a secret, then rips the rug from under you, twists in another direction and... well you get the idea, but at no point did I find it difficult to follow, I ran full tilt into the book and soared. The book is as fickle and complex as the fae themselves, and I love it for that.


But I will say something about the end, literally the end. if you want to look away now, but I don't think this would spoil it for anyone as it has nothing to do with the plot. As I said earlier the book teaches us the importance of hope, the book ends with this "The End" but on the next page it say "for now..."


I know! HOPE!!!
 



I give Shadowfever 5 gold plated and diamond encrusted frilly panties out of 5. A brilliant read.

my copy, mug, you know I love my tea, and my next read!

13 comments:

Sparklybearsy said...

SQUEAKKKK!!!!! oh my oh my oh my!!! i am hoping with all hope BD sends me mine on Monday, i want this book NOW!!

im so happy it lived up to expectations for you Julesy, if its possible you've made me MORE excited for it!!

thanks for the spoiler free review! =)

Minx said...

I have made you MORE excited? YAAAAAAAY!

I do hope you love it ClaireBear, I really do, as for the no spoilers, I thought I owed that to everyone, I will do another in a few weeks when most will have read it where I will discuss some of the things in the book.

I hope yours comes Monday, coz then I can talk to you about it on Tuesday!!!!!!

Larissa {Larissa's Bookish Life} said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

ok ok, Im calm now LOL Tuesday cant come soon enough!

The End, for now?? OMFG! =D

Tigris Eden said...

ACCCKKKKK! I can't wait to read the book! And dammit woman! I would not have minded some spoilers a tantalizingly excerpt! ANYTHING ANYTHING AT ALL! Throw my a freaking bone here! LOLOL it was a great review thanks!

Minx said...

@Larissa I know!!!! I read it and SQUEEEEEEED! After you have all read it I can discuss who what etc!

@Tigris Eden Pleased you liked it, as for spoilers, you sure you want them? *wink*

Fiction Vixen said...

Awesome. Just awesome. I am so excited for this book. Thanks for not spoiling those of us that have not gotten the book yet and congrats on your fabulous luck in getting it early. xoxo

The Book Vixen said...

I just got even MORE excited to read Shadowfever (is that even possible?!!)!!! I love the ending. Love it.

Thanks for remaining completely spoiler free :)

I was wondering how you got an early copy. The Book Depo really did good. Very good :)

tori aka ggs_closet said...

OMGMGOMGOMG

Anonymous said...

OMG I am so glad I'm not the only one who got the book several days before I expected - what a TOTAL THRILL to get it before the weekend!!!!! And, sheesh, such a satisfying read. :)

Mariya said...

OMFG! OMFG! OMFG! I NEED THIS BOOK ASAP! YOU MADE ME WANT TO READ IT EVEN MORE! I NEED THE FEVER! XD

Mariya said...

Btw, I am sooooo a new follower =D

Minx said...

@Fiction Vixen I am pleased you liked it, I have so much I want to discuss, so much of the book is a shock, but I just didn't want to take away the joy for reading it for people. I will do another on Tuesday when a lot of people will have it.

@The Book Vixen thanks BV, it is such a good read, and yes, BD did well, I was shocked!

@Tori the book leaves you feeling like that! =P

@anonymous yes I was incredibly lucky, hated, but lucky! =D

@Mariya I am pleased you like my blog, and I think the fever has set in... it is great!

Twimom227 said...

Glad you got the book earlier! and so happy you enjoyed it. I've not read the series, but I've enjoyed all of you tweeting about the book all week!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails