Tuesday, 22 February 2011

This Side of The Grave: Reviewed

By Jeaniene Frost

Danger waits on both sides of the grave.

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance . . .
With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"—the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war . . . to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.
 Where do I begin? Again I was lucky with book depository and had this delivered on Saturday (and as those who follow me on Twitter know this to be true), sadly I couldn't get to it until Sunday but get to it I did... and what did I find? A really interesting read which I really enjoyed. Yip I just used 'interesting' but in the way it was originally intended, why? Because it is, we find out a lot as Cat and Bones journey to defeat Apollyon. But they don't do it alone. They usual gang appear throughout the novel which is something I always enjoy, it even made me want to read 'First Drop of Crimson' again!

Is it like the first of the novels, at book 5 I would be surprised if it was, like all good series the novels have evolved with the characters, this story is plot driven and it drags the characters with it, forcing them into difficult situations which makes them develop; it also pays homage to modern cultural references, like Twilight, one of my favourite lines was "Ask me if I sparkle and I’ll kill you where you stand." GENIUS! Made me laugh so hard, which is difficult when I was high on pink pills and battling cramps, did it distract me? YES! It goes on my list of books to read when you need to take your mind off pain. (As an aside don't you just love being a woman!) 


A question I have been asked, is it as sexy as the others? Yes, but there isn't the sex you might find in say... chapter 32... does it matter? Absolutely not, perhaps they just twist it up a bit *wink* read it and you will see what I mean! What you see in this book is the real relationship between Cat and Bones and the depth of Cat's love for him, and her realisation of this. Even though she does hope that they continue to break beds, her words not mine. Bones is his usual irreverent and flirtatious self and he show all the qualities that we adore him for, throughout the novel you just want them to succeed, and even though they are already together to live happily ever after. Trust me there are heart wrenching scenes, one in particular near the end which brought tears to my eyes. I would say more, but I would spoil it for everyone.


So what happens? Apollyon, who was referenced before is still claiming Cat will become a ghoul vampire hybrid, and the supernatural world is set for war. Cat is still syphoning powers from whomever she drinks blood from and as usual this leads to trouble! Cat has matured so much from the young girl we first met and that means she is in a better position to deal with these powers, even if it doesn't seem like it as first. She also has matured in her emotions, not just with Bones, but also with others in her life, particularly her family, her mother and Uncle Don. I am particularly interested with were the story with her mother will go.



I know, I am rambling again, I am surprised anyone can follow my reviews but what can I say, I really liked the book, a faced paced, energy pumping, twisting and turning addition to the Frost family. Another great read, I give it 4 frilly knickers out of 5! By the way, it ends with a twist, a big one, that will make you grin like a Chesire cat.

6 comments:

Lily of Darkness said...

Sounds good, I like Cat and Bones but I didn't read this one yet.

Sparklybearsy said...

CANNOT WAIT!!!! mine should be here tomorrow, i need my Bones fix like WOAH!!

your review just made me all the more excited for it babes!!

Minx said...

@ Lily of the Darkness I love Cat and Bones, and I love how the books are developing with the characters. It is a great read, hope you get to it soon.

@ bear READ IT!!! I know you have it now and then we can talk about it!

Grace Fonseca said...

Your Blog is fantastic. Love it.

Sparklybearsy said...

LOVED IT!! SWOOOON. i should write a review for it. LOL!

Minx said...

DOOOOOOO IT!

*pounce*

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails