Friday, 29 April 2011

Crave: Reviewed

By JR Ward

The battle between good and evil has left the future of humanity in the hands of a reluctant saviour and his band of fallen angels. Seven deadly sins that must be righted. Seven souls that must be saved. While his first task was success, Jim Heron is battling a demon that can take any form for the soul of someone he must identify on his own. If that weren't enough, his old boss Matthias wants Jim to assassinate an AWOL member of The Firm - Isaac, the man Jim is pretty sure he is supposed to save. Jim knows first hand that once you're in The Firm, there's no getting out. But when Jim finds Isaac to warn him, he has been picked up by the police for illegal street fighting, and it is clear that Isaac is falling for his gorgeous public defender. Is their love the redemption that will save Isaac's soul? Or has the demon Devina set an elaborate trap?


 

Would it be wrong to say I really didn't mind this book? I don't know, but it would be truthful. However I do accept they are not everyone's cup of tea; if you read this expecting The Black Dagger Brotherhood you will be sorely disappointed, but if you look at this as something completely different you may be pleasantly surprised. In many ways I liked Crave much more than Covet, why? Grier Childe, I found the heroine of this one much more compelling and the first part of the story was fast paced and really exciting. We are introduced to Isaac Rothe, former black ops and team mate of Jim's when he is arrested for illegal cage fighting, Grier is his public defender and no stranger to dealing with rough and ready types. As a result she stands up for herself and does not back down. Their attraction is HOT and potentially deadly for both of them as Isaac is AWOL and the target for an assassin. Enter Jim and his angelic sidekicks in shit kickers. Jim needs to save them from the demonic Devina for team heaven, doesn't he?

This really started off as an intriguing read, we find out more and more about the Angels, and just what they have been through at the hands of Devina and what they must do to keep themselves sane. The action is tense and at times exciting. Why only 3 stars, I don't know, the second half for me wasn't as good as the first, I guess it gets a bit busy, if that makes sense, the relationship becomes secondary as the plot takes over and in some ways the sweetness of that complicated relationship gave the book its character. However it wouldn't put me off reading the next book when it comes out.

Give it a go, you might be surprised, but don't expect BDB! I give Crave 3 frilly knickers out of 5.

4 comments:

Sparklybearsy said...

I still have this one to read. I keep putting it off since i wasn't a fan of the first =(

Im glad it seems better than Covet, you may have persuaded me to crack it open soon, Minxy!!

Minx said...

Bear! You came! *pounce hugs* Yes it was better than Crave, but they are not BDB even though they have a similar setting and tone. I think if this was completely seperate from BDB or if it had come first reactions would be different. I was truthful when I said I didn't mind it.

Twimom227 said...

Hi Bearsy and Minx... I bought Crave when it first came out and it's STILL ON MY SHELF! I just haven't found the time to crack it open. And I actually enjoyed Covet. I don't know... I bet I would be surprised if I just took the time to read! Thanks for the review!

Minx said...

I quite liked Covet, I bought it and it sat there for ages, in fact Crave has been on my shelf since December and I am quite enjoying them I do think they are getting better as they go. It is a shame they are always compared to BDB.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails