Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Dark Enchantment: Reviewed

By Anya Bast
A sultry dream can become a real-life nightmare…
Tax consultant Charlotte Bennett isn’t the type to lose control. Until she’s seduced in a dream by a handsome, rugged man named Kieran. In her dream state, she decides to let loose, letting pleasure and desire lead the way. But she quickly discovers her “safe” night of passion has dangerous repercussions.
The lust-driven dream was in fact a magick illusion that’s left Charlotte indefinitely bound to a controlling fae named Kieran. Under his order, she must find the last piece of a powerful relic. Only Charlotte knows the location of the bosca fadbh, but the knowledge is hidden deep within her bloodline—and only wicked magick can draw it out.
Forced to work with the enticing Kieran, she finds it hard to escape their seductive chemistry. Even though he’s harboring a deadly curse, one that puts Charlotte in danger—and could make this attraction fatal…

I have made it no secret that I think Anya Bast's Dark Magic series is one of the best new series out there. With Shadowfever came the end (for now) of KM Moning's Fae and Anya Bast has filled that gap in my opinion. These books are interesting and a new take on the Fae genre where the Fae are known to the human world, not only do they face their own prejudices, Seelie vs Unseelie but they are imprisoned together in Piefferburg, subjected to monitoring and attack from their enemy the Phaendir all whist being filmed for the reality show Faemous.

It is to me a fascinating take on the traditional myth one which incorporates modern society and its obsession with reality TV.

The first two books were great and this is another fabulous installment. We got to know Kieran a bit more in Cruel Enchantment but in Dark Enchantment we find the softer side behind the gruffness and begin to understand his family history. He is really very unique in the fae world and at times we do wonder if and how he will ever begin to overcome the curse falsely laid upon him. He is gruff and irreverent and downright sexy. His relationship with Charlotte does not get off on the right foot, they have no reason to trust each other and Charlotte is pulled to him through the erotic dreams they shared. Charlotte's family has it's own secrets, secrets which are held even from her and when shown to the light of day threaten everything she has ever known, including her safety.

Both Kieran and Charlotte are likeable characters, you want things to work out, even if the Gods are against them, you feel the heat coming off them and as usual this story as more twists and turns than a monkey puzzle tree. We are reunited with many of the faces from the previous books and throughout it all we again get a more fleshed out vision of the fae world, we also get to meet the Goblins in more detail and learn about their past. When we hear about what happened t the Faemous film crew when they went into the black tower I laughed out loud, in fact this book made me frequently laugh, hold my breath, long for success and grip the book so tight I almost crumpled it! The only down side, I wanted MORE! Selfish of me I know. Naill's book is next and I can't wait for it to come out.

I know this isn't the most indepth of reviews but all I can say is, if you want to take one series on holiday with you, take this, it is the perfect holiday read, it has it all! Trust me! A hot summer read, I give this book 5 frilly knickers out of 5!

4 comments:

Twimom227 said...

I agree, this series is fabulous! I feel it's gotten better with each story, and I'm so glad characters have learned not to hide in the forest with the Birch Lady. LOL. Thanks for the review!

Minx said...

Yes, this time they went to a village with Goblins! I did like how we learned about the Goblins there, I really interested in where the next one goes.

SusiSunshine said...

It's in my basket at Book Depository- okay book 1 is but you did this! Evil book pusher. ;)

Minx said...

YAY! I am an evol book pimp! I always wanted to be one! I do hope you enjoy it Susi.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails