Sunday, 30 October 2011

The Hunter: Reviewed

ARC Review from AAD
By Theresa Meyers



They're the Chosen—Winchester, Remington and Colt—brothers trained to hunt down supernatural beings using the latest steam-powered gadgetry. It's a hard legacy to shoulder, and it's about to get a lot more dangerous. . .
A Devil Of A Job
Colt Jackson has gotten his name on many a wanted poster with success in the family business: hunting supernaturals across the frontier. Lately, though, there's a sulfur stink in the wind and the Darkin population is exploding. A rift in the worlds is appearing. To close it, Colt will have to do the unthinkable and work with a demon to pass arcane boundaries no human alone can cross.
Except when he summons his demon, he doesn't get some horned monstrosity: he gets a curvy redheaded succubus named Lilly, who's willing to make a bargain to become human again. He also gets Lilly's secret expertise on the machinations on the dark side of the rift. And her charm and cleverness help to get them out of what his silver-loaded pistol and mechanical horse can't. Of course, when all hell breaks loose, he might have to sacrifice his soul. But what's adventure without a little risk?


The Hunter by Theresa Meyers. I was given the ARC of this book whilst I was at AAD this year, it was one of the ones shipped to me, so you can imagine they took a little longer to get to the UK, but get here they did and whilst I was packing for my holiday to Spain I made sure this went into my bag. A western steampunk circling round the lives of three brothers, I was intrigued! This was book 1 and following the story of the younger brother Colt.

I love westerns, I always have, I think I get it from my dad and sunday afternoons watching Bonanza (starts singing tune... Du du du dud ud...and pretends to be riding a horse) I love steampunk, so cowboys and steampunk... I was sold! I just hoped the book was as great as the premise.

DRUM ROLL!

And it was!! It is a GREAT BOOK!! I could have happily turned to the next instalment and carry on reading.

I do recommend that if you are looking for a new series or something just a little bit different the give this a try. The characters are captivating and garner our emotions and trust almost immediately. Colt starts this quite like your stereotypical cowboy but from the outset you know there is something different about him, an emerald surrounded by cut glass, his honesty and strength shine through. But he has never met anyone like Lilly.

Lilly I liked from the beginning. She was cute and funny and had purpose. someone with a hard life and a difficult background she made choices which allowed her to change her circumstances. I cheered her on from the beginning! Colt truly has never met anyone like her before and she makes a lasting impression, one which raises his blood pressure and makes him feel thongs he has never felt for a woman before. Her quick wit and refusal to just accept her gender role make her an engaging character who we want to see more of.

And yes they are hot for each other *nudge nudge wink wink* not in an I am always gonna try and get into your pants way, but in a sexy desperate and romantic way. So if you fancy a little spicy sausage stay tuned to this book.

The side characters are great too, particularly Colt's brothers and the scientific brains- Murphy. His brothers HEAs are possibly introduced in the book and you are eager to see where their journeys take them in their concurrent tales.

A great read, full of passion, romance, fantasy and steampunk. I give The Hunter 5 frillies out of 5 and I hope you all run out and buy a copy or someone takes pity on me and sends the next one. If you like cowboys, steampunk and supernatural, trust me you'll love it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails