Saturday, 7 April 2012

Lover Reborn: The Review

Own Purchase
By JR Ward


Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment is a heartbroken shadow of the vampire leader he once was. Brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel, he fights again with ruthless vengeance- and is unprepared for a new tragedy. Seeing his beloved in dreams—trapped in a cold, desolate netherworld—he turns to the angel to save his former mate, only to despair at the path he himself must take to set her free. As war with the lessers rages, and a new clan of vampires vies for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between an unforgettable past, and a future that he doesn’t know he can live with… but can’t seem to turn away from.


It has been a long time since I first started reading the BDB books, in fact only Wrath's book was out and when you have been reading a series so long and you are totally invested in the books a fear is always that the books will disappoint. It is not so much that they will change, I know a long running series must continue to evolve or the books will become stale. But I have read other series where the later books have lost the charm of the earlier ones and it is always a risk and a disappointment. That doesn't happen here! These books are fresh new and still have all that I loved in the opening books. The brothers.

Yes they are evolving and each new book is not simply a story of one couple but a story of the entire brotherhood and I really like that, I love that we have overlap and find out the continuing stories of others, and I loved this book.

This is Tohrs ever evolving story, the story of how he lets go and gets his life back, the story of No'one (who was introduced in the last book) but it is so much more than that, it is a continuation of John Mathhew and Xhex, the story of Xhex and her mother, Qhuinn, Blay, Saxton and Layla, the chosen, the King, the Band of Bastards, new drugs lord and the list goes on. It is a complex story and an intriguing read.

It is certainly more than boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy and girl live happily ever after.

So what did I love? Tohr! Loved him from the beginning, seeing him fall apart after Wellsie's death was heart breaking and I know we have all been waiting for this, for his rebirth. I know, for me at least, when we found out who No'one was in Payne's book part of me did wonder, ooo well, if she can return from the fade perhaps Wellsie can, is that the direction the books will go in? But no, it is about dealing with grief and moving on, which in reality we all have to do, they live on in our hearts but we embrace what we have now. It is not easy for him, just as it is not easy for anyone else in that circumstance, but he has help. Lassiter! Lassiter oh how I loved you! He is great, dark, moody mysteriously good and funny. Oh and did I mention sexy, I hope I have a guardian angel like that ;) See I am getting distracted, that is what Lassiter does to me, that and paracetamol and antibiotics and as I am on both... yeah I may ramble more than normal!

No'one is certainly not no-one, she learns who she is as the book goes on, how to live, love and just simply be happy with herself. We know what a horrible existence she had in her previous life and this is her chance to save herself, will she take it? I liked her as a character, I liked her growth, how the meekness receded and how sometimes you saw the survivor, the core of steel which kept her going. The strength she didn't even know she had.

There are heart breaking moments in this book, the problems faced by John Matthew and Xhex, the events surrounding Wrath (hehe I am not going to spoil it!) and events at the end made me cry. YES THE BOOK MADE ME SNIVEL AND CRY.

The Brotherhood's enemy is now no-longer the Lessening Society and the Omega, they now have, in addition, Xcor and his band of Bastards, a breakaway in the glymeria and a new drugs baron who has yet to name his side. Can we say intriguing? Can we say exciting! As Bob the Builder would say.... YES WE CAN!

Where will it go from here? I have heard that Qhuinn and Blay will be next and I can see plot lines being set up in the book, ones that I find totally intriguing.

Ok now to Layla, yeah, you were wondering if I would mention her, I like Layla, I always have, I feel sorry for her, not in a pity way, but more in a lost soul way. She has a good heart and it seems like no-one cares. She makes a huge mistake in this book, actually no, that is not fair, she is fooled and it is not her fault. I do hope the events surrounding it show the brotherhood that their attitudes to women and the chosen in particular need to change. I know Xhex faced the same problems with what the expected from a bonded mate and part of this is addressed in the book. I am truly interested in where this will go and what the future for 'the chosen' will be.

So, to sum up. great book, and interesting read which will make you laugh and cry, a romance that pulls at your heartstrings, boy meets girl and saves souls, funny sexy angel, funny sexy vampires, bad guys, fighting, social commentary and shocks! What more could you want from a book? I thoroughly enjoyed it! I give it 4.5 frillies out of 5. Put it on your TBR pile if you haven't already.



2 comments:

Twimom227 said...

Great review sweets! YES WE CAN is great (especially for all of us moms that get it!). I adored Tohr in this book - you hit the nail on the head. Ward did a fabulous job with his grief and I enjoyed all the highs and lows. Thanks!

Minx said...

Thanks babes! I bet you said/sang it like Bob does too! heheheheee

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails