Sunday, 20 May 2012

The Slayer: Reviewed

own purchase
By Theresa Meyers


Brothers Winchester, Remington, and Colt know the legends—they were trained from childhood to destroy demon predators, wielding the latest steam-powered gadgetry. It’s a devil of a job. But sometimes your fate chooses you…
Chasing Trouble
Winn Jackson isn’t interested in hunting nightmares across the Wild West—even if it’s the family business. Unlike his rakehell brothers, Winn believes in rules. As sheriff of Bodie, California, he only shoots actual law breakers. That’s what he’s doing when he rescues the Contessa Drossenburg, Alexandra Porter, a lady with all the elegance of the Old World—grace, beauty and class. And then he sees her fangs.
Alexandra isn’t just some bloodsucking damsel in distress, though. She’s on a mission to save her people—and she’s dead certain that Winn’s family legacy is the only way. Luckily, aside from grace and class, she also has a stubborn streak a mile wide. So like it or not, Winn is going to come back with her to the mountains of Transylvania, and while he’s at it, change his opinions about vampires, demon-hunting, and who exactly deserves shooting. And if she has her way, he’s going to do his darnedest to save the world…


I read the first book 'The Hunter' a few months ago after getting a copy when I was at AAD in Philadelphia last year. (review here) As I really enjoyed it when book 2 of the series came out I invested and bought myself a copy (kindle- gotta love it) did I like book 2? Yes, I did.

It had been a while since I read the first book and as there is some overlap I did have to think, what happened again, but it was nice to meet Colt and Lily again and I having to remember is not a bad thing, it exercises my Minxy mind! I know, now you are thinking 'does that mean I have to read book 1 first?' No, it would help, but there is enough in this story for it to stand alone or to make you read it and want to look at the first book.

So... what's it all about Minxy... I hear you shout, it's about Winchester Jackson, eldest of the Jackson brothers and one of 'the Chosen', only problem is that he doesn't believe in he chosen and has turned his back on hunting. However when has this ever mattered to evil? So when Archdemon Rathe decides he will open the gates of Nix and rule earth the brothers are forced into action, and that includes Winn.

He is a really interesting protagonist, in some-ways the stereotypical old west law man, but in many ways a genuine man trying to find his niche in the world and coping with the life he had been served... and yes he has a moustache. Moustaches don't bother me, I grew up with moustaches in the family, they are like an old furry friend, when I was little Minxy's daddy rocked the Mexican bandit look. Ok, I am wandering again.

As a hunter Winn is dubious about entering into a deal with Darkin, but Alexa intrigues him and you can almost taste their attraction from the beginning. What will he do? Give into the attraction or follow everything his pa taught him? Well, I'm not going to tell you but it is an emotional journey which takes him from the wild west to Paris and all points in between.

For me there were some really nice steampunk touches, as usual the inventor Marley Turlock doesn't disappoint and we find out a few secrets about him, we have air travel on a dirigible, Alexa is also an amateur inventor making her much more than a pretty face, something else which intrigues Winn.

I really liked Alexa, I was interested in her back story and what she would do, how she would fulfil her part in the ancient prophecy of the chosen. She is witty, intelligent and fierce in a fight, what's not to like. It did take me a while to get into the book, but that was my fault, I was distracted by work but once I got a few chapters in I was hooked and read the rest like a demon.

Add it to your summer reads, it is a good story with likeable and interesting characters. I give The Slayer 4 frillies out of 5. Definite summer fun with a bustle and a corset.

 

2 comments:

Twimom227 said...

Excellent review, thanks! I pretty much agree with everything you said especially "you can almost taste their attraction from the beginning" it was a sensual ride! I'm looking forward to the next chapter! More Marley!

Minx said...

Oh me too! I did see that Marley was going to get his own short story! YAY! Thanks for the lovely comment. How's you?

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails